Friday, January 4, 2008

Persuasion

I didn't care for Persuasion, the movie that is. It's the only Austen novel I haven't read. The story is rich with a lot of emotional depth, and all the secondary characters are wonderful, particularly the heroine's hypochondriacal, whiny, manipulative sister Mary. But the main character herself left me cold. I didn't like the way the actress used her face and her big brown eyes. Always staring and looking mortified and being so subtle with any expressions of joy. I guess I just didn't like the actress. It's difficult because so much of her role was internal, but still I think someone else would have pleased me more. Also, the love story was so buried underground that the climax seemed to come out of nowhere. When her foppish father is asked for Anne's hand he says "You want to marry Anne? Whatever for?" It's a funny line, but honestly I felt the same way.

No comments: