Friday, March 7, 2008

Tall, Wide, and Sharp-Eye

I ordered this used children's book sight-unseen from Amazon in an effort to find a rare and haunting childhood favorite.

Well, I'm pretty sure that Tall, Wide, and Sharp-Eye is a version of the story I'm looking for, but I am positive that this is not the one. The illustrations are completely wrong. They are comical, goofy. And this is a magical and creepy story with a princess kept by a sorcerer who has a castle full of people he's turned into stone. The illustrations in this version, by Mirko Gabler, seem to strike an absolutely off note. Also, this was made in '94, when I, alas, was hardly a child.

The good news, however, is that I'm convinced that the Evaline Ness version is what I'm after, and I'll order that tomorrow. I know that the second I SEE the book, I'll recognize it.

No comments: