Thursday, July 1, 2010

American History X

I watched American History X with my class yesterday. I had seen it in the theater when it came out and don't recall liking it then. I decided to show it because it brings up important issues relating to hate crime.

Ultimately found myself left unsatisfied with this 1998 drama exploring the white supremacist movement in the US. While beautifully filmed, the movie felt contrived to me, with each character speaking from a particular *position*– most characters were incredibly, unrealistically, well-spoken. That said, American History X did try to provide an analysis of hate. Unfortunately, it left me with more questions than it answered. I don’t feel like I have any more insight into hate, nor do I have insight into the “transformation” that the main character underwent.

Although, if I remember correctly, this movie was controversial when it came out, I doubt it inspired any really insightful debate.

No comments: