Friday, August 6, 2010

Taylor 2 & Paul Taylor Dance Company

Last night I got to see Taylor 2 and Paul Taylor Dance Company perform for free at Lincoln Center out of doors.

The lines were long, the sun unforgiving, the heat oppressive, and the seats rather tortuous, but, it was TOTALLY worth it.

The evening started out with two dances by Taylor 2. I am not sure how this company differs from the main one, but the dances were very good, although not great. I enjoyed the lovely, pretty, "Esplanade".

The Paul Taylor Dance Company was utterly spectacular. "Airs" with music by Handel was so beautiful, very classical and balletic. The dancers looked like sparkling moving water. The second dance, "Syzygy" was totally incredible. The music was by Donald York and it was very modern and exciting. The way the dancers moved was surreal. I think it was my favorite. I would love to see "Airs" or "Syzygy" again. The third dance was called "Company B" and it was performed to music by the Andrews Sisters. It was very wonderful and entertaining, but by that stage in the night I was a little tired and my attention wandered...

No comments: