Saturday, October 9, 2010

censory impulse

I read Erica Kaufman's collection of poems, censory impulse, last weekend in one sitting and it was wonderful.

There is a mysterious, intimate narrative arc to the whole book. Although each poem is excellent, I think censory impulse is not a book to be flipped through and read from here and there (as sometimes read poetry). Taken from beginning to end, something happens between these poems, a subtle transformation of voice, a coming to light.

Which is not to say the poems don't stand alone. Usually when I read poetry I put an asterisk on top of the page of poems I particularly like. This books is now littered with asterisks, as each one is beautiful and stands up with its own solid perfection.

One of many favorites:

via more than just warnings
i need to figure out how
to deal with being modern.

tenacious to consider anything
outside the physical. prefer
mucous to aggression, asthma

to"there's meaning for you
here." my only hobby is
to sketch my own profile.

a continuity scheme all dressed
up and feverish. turn to odor
for incarnations of our story.

presumed casual relations
begin with a broad concept
of the other. develop

the feeling component. sense
impressions turn around. shine
a spotlight. serve as a hub.

No comments: