Thursday, November 11, 2010

Crawlspace

The other week I had a real treat: I got to see a reading of Crawlspace, a play by Moira Cutler.

The play centers around a relationship between two women, both artists from the South, who are struggling to understand and articulate their issues around intimacy, love, and art. There were extended moments in their dialogue where I was riveted by the emotional tension.

The invitation I received to the event describes the play as "a Southern Gothic noir and New York Story. A thriller with a lesbian interracial love story at it's heart... Crawlspace spans space and time, taking us back to the backwoods of Appalachia, New Orleans, and New York City of the past, present and future."

Crawlspace is rich with beautifully written and evocative monologues. In fact, I was most struck by the poetry of the playwright's language and felt that this was a very special artistic project.

The reading took place at the Wow Cafe, an all women and trans-inclusive theater collective. I can't wait to see it when it is finished and fully staged!

No comments: