Sunday, March 11, 2012

High Art

Last night I watched High Art, a wonderful film directed by Lisa Cholodenko, which I hadn't seen in at least a decade. I loved it the first time I saw it and was just as impressed this time around.

The story takes place in two realms of the New York City art world -- the art magazine industry, with one ambitious character looking to have an impact; and the druggie world of a formerly successful photographer. Both converge in apartment building, and a very interesting, sexy, at times subtle (at times not so much) relationship builds between these two characters. The tensions and desires are very well executed, and though I don't usually like junkie flicks, this surpassed the cliches of the genre.

Ally Sheedy was wonderful as the tense, complex and conflicted photographer. Her performance was really incredible, and the rest of the cast was great as well.

No comments: