Sunday, April 28, 2013

The Central Park Five

I just watched the Ken Burns documentary, The Central Park Five which tells the story of the five young teenagers who were accused and convicted of the brutal attack of the Central Park jogger in 1989. Years later, the real rapist confessed and his DNA was matched with the crime.

If you are familiar with the case, as I was, this documentary doesn't provide much new information. What it does do, however, is tell an important story of a very grave miscarriage of justice, and it offers a glimpse into the young men who needlessly endured much suffering as a result of unbridled racism and aggressive and blind prosecutorial arrogance. I found myself very moved.

Unfortunately the prosecutors and detectives involved in the case refused to participate in the documentary. I am very curious about their perspective and how they would defend their actions.

No comments: