Thursday, January 3, 2019

The Book of Merman

Last summer I saw an exuberant and quirky musical, The Book of Merman. It is a take on The Book of Mormon which I never saw, so I'm sure I didn't get a number of references and gags. But it didn't matter. This was totally fun. Two Mormon are proselytizing door to door. One is very uptight, in a sweet, naive way, and the other is holding in his fabulosity. They knock on the door of "Ethel Merman" and the play is the three of them interacting. It's a musical and the numbers are fantastic. Each is different -- something I hate about some musicals is how one number resembles another so much that it is hard to distinguish them and they blur into each other. The actors were very talented and the show was uplifting in a light but smart way.

No comments: