Sunday, November 25, 2007

Two essays in Policing the National Body

Tonight I read two essays in Policing the National Body: Race, Gender and Criminalization. I read an article on the drug war's manipulative attack on the black community, "Killing the Black Community: A Commentary on the United States War on Drugs" by Judith A. M. Scully. It contained an interesting discussion on the hysteria and manipulative rhetorical strategies regarding "crack babies" and the attempted criminalization of pregnant drug users. Then I read "Superpredator Meets Teenage Mom: Exploding the Myth of Out of Control Youth" by Anne Hendrixson which exposed the similar hysterical and rhetorically manipulative campaigns about bogus population issues and hostility to young people of color.

Basically, arguments and facts I'm pretty familiar with but it is very good practice to refresh one's memory and find more sources. I took good notes for my winter intercession class, although I think I will use Angela Davis more than these folks.

No comments: