Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Sweeney Todd

Am I the only person that doesn't like Johnny Depp? I think his acting is so two-dimensional and cartoonish. So little depth, so little subtlety. I'm always underwhelmed by him. And I think I'm kind of over Tim Burton.

All this to say, I didn't like Sweeney Todd at all. The leads' had terrible voices and the music was god-awful dull. The cool story was just butchered (ha ha) -- I mean, I was so, so bored. And I love Victorian stuff, and I love Helena Bonham Carter, and I love gore and cannibalism and revenge. And yet I was bored from the very beginning through to the end. I wish they had just made it a straight dramatic movie, without the singing. And I wish someone other than Tim Burton directed it. His heavy hand was in every scene, every shot, never for a moment letting you forget who directed it...

No comments: