Sunday, December 9, 2012

Life of Pi

Last night I saw Life of Pi in 3D. I had read the book years ago and was tremendously moved my it.

The movie, directed by Ang Lee, is incredibly beautiful. Lush, vibrant colors and haunting images.

Although I feel that they did a good job, a very good job, at translating the book, somehow something was missing. In the book, the elements of survival and the intense loneliness of being a castaway are explored in great detail, and I felt intensely gripped by the story. In addition, the bond between the boy and the tiger, Richard Parker, was more complex and moving in the novel. Last night I left the theater dry-eyed, like I did in Anna K, and these are both stories that to be fully successful must hit you in the gut.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree--something was missing--maybe the lack of visuals during the long monologue after his rescue--the monotony of his ordeal--and a letdown at the end--but richard parker WAS quite beautiful.

Diana said...

The book was marvelous