Thursday, June 23, 2016

The Witch

Months ago I saw The Witch in a movie theater. I had read a NY Times review that made it sound fascinating and creepy. It's about a family in presumably colonial America that has been banished from the town for religious reasons, and lives in isolation in the wilderness. They have deep and rigid religious views. I was drawn to the what The Times wrote about the growing paranoia among family members after their newborn baby disappears. They come to believe there is a witch or evil spirit among them.

Although some of this was interesting to me, mostly it was too slow and kind of empty. I was bored a lot, but also curious, even as it became overwrought. The ending scenes were overly dramatic and I had no emotional investment. Apparently the audience felt the same, because in the ridiculous final scene we all burst out laughing.

No comments: