Sunday, November 18, 2007

What Narcissism Means To Me

Okay, seriously, Tony Hoagland is my new favorite poet. He may even be my favorite favorite poet, but I don't want to go overboard. The poems in What Narcissism Means to Me are each excellent, humorous, and devastating. And so fucking cool. He has this totally conversational style working with what I think of as the lyricism of the mundane. I love the way he quotes people, and brings people into his poem. It is very Frank O'Hara. And, I know this is a corny and annoying thing to say, but it kind of made me want to write. Or, it made me feel: this is what I should be writing, if I could. Which I couldn't. There was something about them that I identified with, that made me feel connected, although I feel like a jackass saying that.

I'd post some brilliant excerpts, but one can easily find them online, so I won't. Here:

http://www.threecandles.org/reviews/thoagland_gallery.html

No comments: