Thursday, June 26, 2008

Sweet Smell of Success

I watched Sweet Smell of Success last night on my macbook. It's about the cut-throat entertainment publicity world, and is riddled with great lines, some scathing, some silly. The only ones that come to mind right now fall into the former category:

President! My big toe would make a better president.

Funny! If he's funny I'm a pretzel.

Anyway, I liked it; I liked it a lot, actually. But there was something missing. The characters were slightly two-dimensional. They basically stayed who they were, operating from one set of motives, till the very, very end. In particular Burt Lancaster's character was somewhat befuddling. Why was he such an asshole? Tony Curtis was great. I'm not sure if I've seen him in a movie before, but I'm going to look out for more of him.

No comments: