Monday, March 2, 2009

Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room

I watched this documentary about Enron last night and have to say I didn't really care for it.

It was done in a sleek choppy style with fun music and I found it very disorienting. It just kind of told the main story that I already knew, but really didn't help me understand the legal and financial specifics of all the fraud that was being perpetrated.

But, what I found really frustrating was the lack of analysis. They made it seem like mainly it was some selfish bad apples gone amok, and while yeah they nodded to the political machine that helped them, they didn't really look at the corporate and political culture that allowed Enron to happen.

2 comments:

BTS said...

I read the book and thought the same thing. Okay journalism, but not very good or insightful writing or analysis. Also, I was irritated by the title as they _never_ showed the guys to be that intellingent--without scruples, greedy, willing to break conventions, and selfish--but not especially smart.
bts

Diana said...

I was going to show this to my deviance class for the section on corporate crime, but now am not sure. It is just too descriptive and lacking an angle. And, you're right: no indication that these guys were particularly smart.