Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Mindbody Prescription

I just read John E. Sarno's The Mindbody Prescription: Healing the Body, Healing the Pain. I read it in one sitting.

It's basically a simple idea. Unconscious rage causes most musculoskeletal pain. Diagnostics will show some structural indication of something that might contribute to the pain, but Sarno says these are normal signs of life and should not contribute to pain. Pain is a distraction, the mind's strategy to avoid experiencing rage. Just knowing this is the case will aleviate symptoms.

I have to say, my knees stopped hurting while I was reading. For the next month I'm going to focus on accepting that there is no real physical basis to my pain and see what happens. I am going to make a conscious effort to be pain free. I'm feeling cautiously optimistic....

No comments: