Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Foul Play

I LOVED Foul Play when I was a kid. Seriously I thought it was BRILLIANT and HILARIOUS. Cannot emphasize enough how much I loved this movie.

Needless to say, I was a little nervous about watching it again after all these years ("years"? -- who am I kidding? It's *decades*). But I wasn't sure exactly what I was in the mood for and I saw it was available on Watch Instantly, and I thought, "why not?"

So, while I didn't actually laugh out loud once (and I think it had me peeing in my pants when I was a kid), I was smiling the whole time and really appreciated all the quirky little charming moments. Goldie Hawn and Chevy Chase are so young and so charismatic, and there is really delightful chemistry between them. The story may be ridiculous, but each scene (with the exception of the unending speed car thing) sparkled. Particularly memorable was Dudley Moore as an insecure pervy guy.

All in all, I think Foul Play holds up.

(Another favorite movie of mine from this era was Heaven Can Wait, which in addition to being BRILLIANT and HILARIOUS I also thought was DEEP)

No comments: