Sunday, April 25, 2010

New York Philharmonic

Last night was, I believe, my first time ever in Avery Fisher Hall. I've used the bathrooms there a couple of times, actually, but, to the best of my knowledge, have never been in the hall itself.

A friend had tickets to the New York Philharmonic, which I've only ever seen in Central and Prospect Park concerts.

The program was all Stravinsky: Jeu de cartes (Game of Cards); Symphony of Psalms (with the Chorus of the Mariinsky Theare); and L'Oiseau de feu (The Firebird, complete). I very much enjoyed the music which was beautiful and exciting. As gorgeous and interesting as it was, I think I most enjoy classical music when it danced or sung to, as in ballet (or modern dance, even) and opera. But my musical tastes are definitely expanding and last night was a wonderful treat.

No comments: