Saturday, June 26, 2010

New York City Ballet

I went to the ballet last night! Saw the New York City Ballet perform three dances:

1. After the Rain with music by Arvo Part, choreographed by Christopher Wheeldon. This dance was very sparse, the music very modern, and for a while I found it a little difficult. It contained two parts. The first part featured three couples and was interesting and choppy. The second part drew me in much more, it was an intense, languid, erotic duet, danced by Wendy Whelan and Craig Hall. I was mesmerized...

2. The second dance was called The Lady with The Little Dog. Choreographed by Miroshnickenko with music by Rodion Shchedrin. I didn't care for this piece very much. The music was difficult for me, and there was something tedious about the telling of story. The dance featured a main pair, and a chorus of male dancers, and I very much enjoyed the men. Their choreography was quirky and playful and was my favorite part of this otherwise kind of drab piece.

3. The third piece was wonderful and joyous! Balanchine choreographing Gershwin. (Called Who Cares?). It was a happy mixture of jazz dance idioms mixed with ballet and it was so very fun to watch. It was complex and beautiful and happy.

All in all, a terrific evening.

No comments: