Saturday, September 11, 2010

Engaged Observers

I saw a really wonderful exhibit at the Getty, Engaged Observers: Documentary Photography Since the 60s.

Unfortunately, by the time I got to this exhibit I was so wiped out from walking around the Center, taking in the views, appreciating the architecture, and going through the Gerome exhibit, that I was too tired to see the whole the show.

It provided a fairly in-depth look at the projects of several iconic photographers, including Mary Ellen Mark's documenting of homeless teenagers, Larry Towel's investigation of Amish culture, Leonard Freed's work on race relations in the US during the civil rights era, and Lauren Greefield's more recent exploration of the production of femininity and beauty.

I hope this show comes to New York, as I would really have liked to have given it more time.

No comments: