Thursday, September 30, 2010

More Fall for Dance!

I went to another Fall for Dance program at City Center tonight! It was awesome.

Although I usually am blown away by flamenco, the first company performed flamenco and I wasn't quite captivated by it. Company Rafaela Carrasco featured a singer with a strained, raspy voice that kind of made me nervous. During the first part of the dance, the female dancer worked with a scarf which was very distracting and annoying. Then, the last three sections of the performance was mainly a tap routine -- it just wasn't as sexy and soulful and moving as flamenco usually is for me.

My absolute favorite part of the evening was New York City Ballet's Red Angels, with a guest artist playing violin. This dance featured two women and two men, and their movements were so cool and intense and quirky and amazing. I was completely transported.

I was very excited to see the Bill T. Jone/Arnie Zane Dance Company. They performed Duet, which was choreographed to strange music and spoken word -- excerpts from a radio interview with John Cage. Although the dancers' movements were beautiful, I felt that the piece was a bit difficult for me. Eventually, however, I got into it, and by the end I was moved emotionally by the piece.

The last company was fucking awesome. The Brazilian Companhia Urbana De Danca performed an dark and aggressive piece set to haunting urban music (ID: ENTIDADES). All the dancers were male, and their movements were so lithe and agile. I was also transported by this piece, fell into its world, and enjoyed it immensely.

No comments: