Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Erica Kaufman & Eileen Myles at Red Horse Cafe

What a terrific poetry reading!

I heard Erica Kaufman and Eileen Myles
read tonight at the Red Horse Cafe here in Park Slope (I've been in the neighborhood for over a decade and had no clue this place existed...).

Erica read a beautiful and complex long poem "Instant Classic" that just shimmered with evocative, powerful, surprising lines (For instance, "The grand science of dildonics " and "I admit not to be afraid of my semi-object state. My first swimming lessons were from an amputee."


Eileen read some marvelous, poignant-funny poems, and then a chapter from her novel, Inferno. The chapter she read was about getting to know Alice Notley and Ted Berrigan
in the 70s. Her voice is at once fresh, familiar and startling.

I enjoyed it so much I bought a copy. And in spite of the fact that I didn't intend to start reading it till after my biography of Hans Christian Andersen (which hasn't even arrived yet), I tore into it when I got home (after tearing into a Vietnamese sandwich) and I'm hooked.

No comments: