Monday, January 3, 2011

The Kids are All Right

I didn't expect to like The Kids are All Right, and guess what? I did not like it.

For one thing the situation comedy type premise turned me off; it just felt contrived (the story is about a lesbian couple with two teenagers who find their sperm donor). I didn't find anything particularly funny and never laughed. And I think it was supposed to be a warm hearted quirky comedy. But every attempt at a joke fell flat for me.

It seemed like it was trying too hard to show that the lesbian couple is just like any other "normal" (ie straight) married couple. The affair (this doesn't count as a spoiler because everyone already knows what happens in this movie) seemed forced as well. I didn't feel any chemistry between the two and felt kind of annoyed that I had to be dragged through this obligatory plot device.

I didn't really like any of the characters, although none were especially unlikable either. It's more that they just didn't seem to have much substance. Everyone has said how good the acting was, but I wasn't that impressed. I thought the cast did a competent but uninteresting job.

No comments: