Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Never Let Me Go

Earlier tonight I finished Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go, a surreal novel that I was utterly absorbed in.

Never Let Me Go is narrated by Kathy H. a 31 year old "carer" who is recalling her days at what appears to be an exclusive boarding school. Her memories focus on the intense, insular interpersonal dynamics between children, and the minutia of her observations has a hauntingly precise and eerily detached quality to it. The tension created in every small interaction was excruciatingly claustrophobic. The attention to detail is particularly effective because there is an increasing sense of something foreboding looming outside the narrator's frame. The bigger picture is gradually uncovered, and this story is chilling, haunting, creepy, and very tender and moving.

I can't say more without giving it away.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

interesting--I saw the film which is apparently like the novel. I found the subject too disturbing and I hated it!

Diana said...

I watched the movie last night, which I found effective, and just posted about it: http://whatireadandwatched.blogspot.com/2012/05/never-let-me-go-movie.html