Thursday, January 3, 2013

Ann Hamilton: The Event of a Thread

 This afternoon I went to the Ann Hamilton installation at the Park Avenue Armory. The Event of a Thread fills the entire main space. Suspended in the center is a giant sheet of billowing white cloth. Throughout the space are swings suspended from the top. The movement of visitors on the swings connects to the cloth, which sways and folds, sways and folds.

The experience of swinging and watching the cloth was truly magical. The echoing of visitors and children in the space created a kind of cocoon of sound. It was truly beautiful and effective.

On one side of the installation was a table of caged pigeons, and two people sat at the table reading from scrolls. I was interested in this aspect of the work, but I didn't really get it.

I had never been to the Armory before. This is a majestic space for showing art, and I look forward to returning in the future.

No comments: