Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Oscar & Lucinda

I read about half of the Peter Carey novel, Oscar & Lucinda, and though I liked it a lot, for some reason I stopped reading it. Still, I was curious to see the movie.

I just finished watching it and have to say I didn't care for it at all. I found the plot a little enigmatic and hard to follow, and the themes weren't really drawn out. It seemed cold and a bit confusing -- where people were staying, what city they were in, sometimes I wasn't sure.

The story is about a neurotic priest who gambles (Ralph Fiennes) and a lonely woman with a large inheritance who also gambles (Cate Blanchett). She buys a glass factory, they meet, and decide to make a wager about building and moving a glass church to a remote part of Australia. I just didn't dig it.

No comments: