Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Terms of Endearment

The other night I watched Terms of Endearment. This 80s movies follows a mother-daughter relationship, played by Debra Winger and Shirley MacLaine. The mother is difficult and overbearing. Interestingly, Debra Winger's character is very accepting and laid back about this, and they have a sweet, although bickery relationship.

Terms of Endearment follows their lives and their love interest over a period of years. Most affecting for me was the relationship between Debra Winger and her older son, about 11 years old. His sulkiness and her frustration with him were very tense. Another storyline that I enjoyed was between Jack Nicholson and Shirley MacLaine. They had excellent chemistry.

I don't want to give away the ending, but suffice it to say I was crying like a baby for the entire last half hour.

One final comment: the score was HORRIBLE. Very dorky and cheesy and hitting the wrong notes.

No comments: