Tuesday, July 15, 2014

NYC Makers: The MAD Biennial

The Museum of Art and Design at Columbus Circle is one of my favorite places in NYC, and it might be my favorite museum in the city. Their exhibitions are always full of lovely, fascinating, exquisite creations.

Because of so many wonderful experiences at MAD I am sorry to say I was a bit disappointed with their biennial, NYC Makers. Overall this two floor show seemed sort of garish and bright, and many of the pieces lacked the intricacy or delicacy or uniqueness that I was looking forward to. On the other hand, there were a number of pieces that stood out for me. This table of white sculptured objects; this wunderkammer type display of glass treasures, jewels, and curiosities; and this bright crunchy bead like rainbow sculpture are just a few. (My apologies for not noting the names of the artists; I found the printed catalog a little hard to follow).





No comments: