Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Looking back on 2014

So, 2014 is about to come to a close. Now I take a look at What I Read and Watched this year, and make some assessment of general favorites. I read, watched, and saw a lot of really great stuff this year, enjoying most of everything. Yay.

First, I must mention the experience that defies categorization, The National Holocaust Museum in DC, which was intense and profound and important.

My favorite art exhibitions this year was Meridith McNeal's Liar, Liar at Figureworks and Patti Smith's "The Resilience of the Dreamer" at Ft. Tilden.

Of the live music I saw this year I think the best concert was Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, although I thoroughly enjoyed all the concerts I was fortunate enough to go to this year.

I saw lots of dance so it's hard to choose favorites. I'm going to go with Soledad Barrio and Noche Flamenca; Dance Theater of Harlem; Company XIV, and Les Ballets Trockadero de Monte Carlo.

I only saw two operas this year, liked them both, and am going to name L'Elisir Amore as my favorite.

For theater, the dark and demanding The Killer, as well as Company XIV (who really are a category of their own).

I watched many movies on Netflix etc, but only saw a few in the theaters. Of those, Her is the only real stand out.

I didn't see many documentaries this year, but include Tim's Vermeer, Spinning Plates, and The Flat as favorites.

It's hard to choose between all the TV series I watched online this year. So, the list of favorites has to include Olive Kitteridge, Big Love, Asylum, and Transparent.

As for reading, I started reading poetry more seriously this year, and tremendously enjoyed all of it. I'm not singling out anything.

Did not read a lot of fiction. The two standouts are very different from each other. The contemporary and artistically exciting Nochita, and the nostalgic and timeless A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.

Nonfiction: Bluets, Dear Nobody, I Wear the Black Hat, and Gentrification of the Mind. And of course the timeless and always important and eloquent diary of Anne Frank.


No comments: