Friday, April 22, 2016

The Duchess

I loved The Duchess, a movie about the life of Georgiana, Duchess of York in the 18th Century. It's an emotional drama about a teenage bride from the aristocracy who marries the older, very cold and stiff and mean Duke who only wants her to produce an heir.. Her struggles in her marriage (which eventually becomes a menage a trois with Lady Bess), her involvement in politics, and her own love life and passionate romance outside of the marriage are the focus of the movie.

I thought Keira Knightley's performance was wonderful, she was charming and vulnerable and you could really see her learn and grow. I was so impressed by this movie and curious about Georgiana's life that I downloaded the biography it is based on. It turns out she was a very remarkable woman. I learned a lot about British aristocracy (their sexual antics and gambling issue in particular) and politics (which she was deeply involved in).

No comments: