Thursday, August 13, 2009

Charlie Wilson's War

In spite of the fact that it was a bit sanctimonious, I very much enjoyed Charlie Wilson's War, about the efforts of three politically strange bedfellows raising money to support American covert support of Afghanistan against the Soviets in the late 80s. I knew virtually nothing about this conflict, or it's importance, until after 9/11 when Afghanistan was all over the news. I think I really would have preferred a documentary to a dramatic movie, although it's based on facts.

As narrative, it was okay. A little slack. The best parts for me were the repartee between Tom Hanks (as Charlie Wilson) and Philip Seymour Hoffman (as a gruff CIA agent).

1 comment:

abby said...

this is a fine film, with excellent dialogue and some real food for thought. I recommend it to those who can open their eyes enough to understand what is really being said here. 7/10. download Charlie Wilson's War movie here and enjoy !!