Thursday, August 20, 2009

How Not To Look Old

I read How Not To Look Old: Fast and Effortless Ways to Look 10 Years Younger, 10 Pounds Lighter, 10 Times Better by Charla Krupp in one sitting last night.

This book, which looks and feels much more like a particularly thick magazine, is filled with useful information and tips, and as I read it I jotted down product recommendations in my notebook.

The advice boils down to a few simple things, and the chapter titles give them away (for example: "Put on Pink Lipstick" and "Whiten Your Teeth"). But it was very motivating to go through and have all these little pointers, many of which I am taking very seriously (I already whitened my teeth and started wearing pink lipstick from thumbing through the book a week or so ago in Barnes & Nobel).

I don't quite think this book is worth the sticker price. There's lots of filler and really feels like it should be less than $10, but I'm glad I got it, and, like I said, I couldn't put it down.

Some criticisms or things that would make it better: Instead of shots of celebrities to illustrate points, she could have used shots of "regular people". Also, everyone looked like they were in their forties, and it might have been helpful to show how things make differences on older, older women as well as on younger, older women. If that makes any sense. Finally, the style recommendations are pretty mainstream trendy (she says she's focused on people in office situations, which calls for a kind of narrow range of options) and not quite "cool."

No comments: