Friday, August 21, 2009

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

I'm not sure how much I liked The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. I definitely got into it. But there were so many things that I don't feel great about.

It's about someone who is born old and ages backward. And it was done in a very sentimental Driving-Miss-Daisy type of way. Like, if Charlie Kaufman did it, it would be a completely different movie, and it might have been different.

This was sort of a sleepy, sepia-toned, contemplation about aging and life. Anchored by a (for me) tepid and slightly contrived love story.

It was interesting to watch the makeup and how they did the aging. And in general I enjoyed watching Brad Pitt transform and go through his life.

It was "framed" with an annoying device: a woman (his love) was dying and she had her daughter read a book Benjamin had written about his life. While reading it, a hurricane is going on, which turns out to be Hurricane Katrina. It was just an annoying distraction. And it created unnecessary distance from the main story.

No comments: