Friday, November 20, 2009

Joni Mitchell: Woman of Heart and Mind

I was tremendously moved by the documentary Joni Mitchell: Woman of Heart and Mind.

It focused a lot on her early career and early music. It really allowed you to hear her music and her voice and her lyrics in this way that was kind of intimate.

It choked me up, because I bought all her records when I was 14 and devoured them. I mean I listened to them over and over and stared at the record art and copied out the words... That was so long ago. Those songs are a part of me, and so many years have passed by.

She had a very sweet voice, and a very "pure," or clean sound that was totally unique (actually the documentary emphasized her song writing and her personal life, but never mentioned her singing style).

My one criticism was that it sort of fetishized her appearance. I guess there wasn't enough footage of other things to show, and she was very beautiful. But the way the camera lingered over picture after picture of her face kind of took something away for me. But, her prettiness was part of her career...

No comments: