Thursday, December 30, 2010

I Love You Phillip Morris

Last night I saw I Love You Phillip Morris. It is a gay love story about two men who meet in prison, starring Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor.

It is basically a romantic comedy, that has an odd edge to it's tone. Jim Carrey plays a compulsive con-man, and his performance is typically manic. Charming yet inaccessible. Which is perfect for his character. Ewan McGregor's character is sweeter, more vulnerable, but ultimately not very well developed.

I liked the movie overall. It was entertaining and pleasant, and it was great to see a gay male love story in a mainstream movie, and there were some great scenes. But basically there was no emotional core to it and I don't think it worked. There are a couple of scenes toward the end where, if the movie was hitting it's mark, I should have been crying. But it didn't hit me hard. I felt more like I was watching a narrative wind itself up (if that makes any sense).

No comments: