Saturday, December 25, 2010

True Grit

I LOVED True Grit, the Coen brothers movie I saw with my mom on Christmas day.

It's a remake of a western about a 14-year old girl seeking to avenge her father's death. She hires Jeff Bridges, a drunken and slurring and ruthless marshal to hunt down the killer. The two of them spar in dry clipped observations and character assassinations that are hysterical. Matt Damon plays a comic foil.

The dialogue in this movie is superb, and adds a wonderfully surprising bite to the violence and drama and adventure. I didn't expect to like True Grit at all, but I was tense and riveted and entertained for every moment of it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I saw the original true grit but somehow the Coen Bros version is 'grittier'--I agree with all your comments but want to add a kudo for the score--unobtrusive then powerful wherever it should be!