Friday, March 4, 2011

The September Issue

I hated The September Issue, a documentary focusing on Anna Wintour about putting together and issue of Vogue.

I suppose if you think this is interesting on the face of it, then you might find something to like. But I needed the documentary to make a case for me: why is this interesting? why should I care about fashion? or the magazine industry? or this distant bitch Ms. Wintour?

Because it didn't place its subject matter in any context, it was literally all about putting an issue of a magazine together (and only one aspect of putting it together: the fashion part; it didn't talk about the writing or graphic design or advertising at all).

I guess what happened while I was watching this is that the sociologist in me start have a temper tantrum: Where is the analysis of class? of consumerism? What about race and gender? And modernity? Isn't there some fucking other point of view that could have been engaged? Jeesh.

No comments: