Sunday, April 29, 2012

Dangerous Liaisons

Last night I watched Dangerous Liaisons (Stephen Frears, 1988). I had been wanting to watch this as last month I started reading De Laclos' book. At first I really enjoyed it, but then it dragged and I gave up. But still, I was fascinated by the plot.

I had loved Dangerous Liaisons when it first came out, and I had no doubt that it would hold up. It totally does!
The plot is very rich and intricate, and the intense and cruel connection between Glenn Close (Mme de Mertuil) and John Malkovitch (de Valmont) is enthralling and delicious. Their restrained and sharp dialogue are what make the movie.

The games they play with others are painful to watch, and the twisted romance between Valmont and Mme do Torvel (Michelle Pfeiffer) is excruciating.

I loved it.

Maybe I'll give the book another shot.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree--who would have thunk John Malkovich could pull off sexy????