Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Tipping the Velvet

On a friend's suggestion I watched Tipping the Velvet last night. About a decade ago I had read the book, and wasn't that impressed, so I wasn't inclined to see the BBC version of it.

However, I totally enjoyed it!

Tipping the Velvet
is about the adventures of a lesbian woman in Victorian England. Starting with her sexual awakening and first love, and her emergence as a cross dresser and stage performer, it covers a sordid and kinky affair with an older woman, and ends with the attainment of new love and a fully mature sense of self.

I thought this BBC production was very well executed. It was emotional and steamy, gritty and dramatic.

One thing, I am pretty sure they added something at the end which wasn't in the book (I don't want to give it away). It was a minor thing, but, if I remember correctly, it was something that turned me off a lot in the book, and which I think, in a subtle way, saves the movie for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this review makes me want to see it!!!