Friday, December 6, 2013

The Shining

I didn't enjoy Stephen King's The Shining. Although I read it quickly, I didn't find it particularly gripping. Part of this is that I'm so familiar with the movie. Also, I think it's possible I read it in high school. So there were no surprises.

I found the back story of the characters was clunky and in spite of all the information they still remained a bit two dimensional to me. Jack was the most complex, but I felt like I could see him being created, like I was watching the writing.

As for the plot and the climax, it was a bit plodding to me, I just wanted to get through it to the end. There was one thing I found scary and surprising, though.

Anyway, I'm going to watch the Kubrick movie again, to see the ways he kept to the novel and the ways he departed from it. Then I'm going to watch the documentary about the film. But I don't think I'm going to read King's newly released sequel to The Shining, Dr. Sleep.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow! I find the film as gripping now as then--and I remember also liking the novel--which I don't remember as well as the film --although I preferred the novel's fate with one of the characters...