Friday, January 3, 2014

Alvin Ailey at City Center!

Last night I saw Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater perform at City Center. The program was wonderful, although I liked the first and third dance more than the middle one.

The first dance, "Chroma" with music by Jack White and Joby Talbot (choreographed by Wayne McGregor) was set in a giant white light box, very stark and dramatic. The music was a little too intense for me at first, but once I got into it, I was blown away by the beautiful dancing.

Second was "D-Man in the Waters (Part I)", a Bill T. Jones piece. This was interesting but didn't grab me as much. I just had trouble connecting to it.

The third piece was also dramatic. It started with a lot of men with bare chests in a tribal type of movement thing that was rousing. The women joined and the parts of the dance varied from uptempo rhythmic to slower moments. Some of these slower parts were stunning. This dance, "Lift" was with music by Curtis MacDonald and choreographed by Aszure Barton.

No comments: