Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Enough Said

I just finished Nicole Holofcener's Enough Said and am really moved and choked up. I think I've loved every movie I've seen of hers. Julia Louis Dreyfus and James Gandolfini were wonderful in their awkward and cautious courtship. A bittersweet romantic comedy, it seemed to highlight the emotional fragility of all the characters, particularly the leads, but also the minor characters. Almost everyone was likeable and relatable.

The plot is a kind of straightforward "mistaken identity" type thing: Julia Louis Dreyfus' character meets a new client/friend at a party, at the same time that she meets a man she starts dating; turns out the new friend and the man are ex spouses, and as she is dating Gandolfini's character she is hearing all the dirt on him from his ex.

The performances were all smart and sweet and touching, and really drew me in. It was particularly moving to see James Gandolfini play such a sweet man in his last role.

No comments: