Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Doctor Zhivago

Yesterday I watched the two-part 2002 BBC/PBS mini-series version of Doctor Zhivago. I was skeptical, who could and why try to improve on the Omar Sherif 1965 epic?

But this one, starring Hans Matheson, Keira Knightley, was wonderfully acted and the epic was just as sprawling and intense. The love story had similar power (maybe the 1965 version conveyed that better, I'm not sure). There were more characters, more developed tertiary characters, and the violence and turbulence of the times seemed more realistic and scary and dramatic. I really liked it!Watched the whole thing in one sitting and was bawling at the end.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

maybe I will try to catch it--at the time I thought it was unnecessary--btw another unnecessary remake is in the works--the brilliant
Rosemary's Baby! probably a mistake like the silly remake of Charade.