Thursday, April 17, 2014

I'M THE MAN WHO LOVES YOU

I've been binging on poetry (yay!). After reading kari edwards' Bharat jiva, I dived into Amy King's I'M THE MAN WHO LOVES YOU. This whirling and intelligent collection is transcendent and concrete -- navigating gender, sex, urban life, ego, love, and language.

The details, the turns of phrase, the confident voice -- these make for unique, memorable, and delightfully, almost decadently charismatic poems.

"We bachelors of approximate projects
go on to wing it and fly above the serenade"
 -- last lines of "INHABITING CONSCIOUSNESS"

And, the ending of another favorite:
"I'm on day two of the body, its remedial surfaces,
a charmed night air to sound itself home with: I use
these places for my own constraints and as a reminder
there's a storyteller within, if you'd only let her loose."
 -- last lines of "YES, YOU".

I can't wait to read her more recent book!

No comments: