Monday, April 6, 2015

The Jinx

I forgot to write about The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst, a 6-part documentary I wanted last month.

I found this story of Robert Durst, suspected of two murders and acquitted of a third, to be so fascinating. 

It was filmed in a dramatic way that was very effective. I normally cringe at reenactments, but I think they worked very well here. The story could easily be told in 2 hours, but, except for the final episode, I didn't feel like it was drawn out. I was literally on the edge of my seat while watching this.

The day the final episode aired, Durst was arrested in New Orleans. In that final episode he was confronted with an envelope he had addressed, which exactly matched the handwriting of a note sent to the police after one of the murders. It was very damning evidence. But the real drama came after the interview was over. He went to the bathroom and without realizing the mic was still on, he mumbled all this stuff, including "killed them all, of course". It was so dramatic!

I am one of the few people who did not here these mutterings as a "confession" -- It seemed to me more that he was echoing what he presumed people were now going to think. I assume a good lawyer would be able to make this argument successfully in court. But maybe not.

No comments: