Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Carol

I think I am the only person I know who really hated Carol, the new movie based on a Patricia Highsmith novel. Because I loved The Talented Mr. Ripley so much, I was very excited to see another one of her novels adapted. Also it got wonderful reviews and many friends recommended it.

So, what didn't I like about it? EVERYTHING (acting, directing, plot). The pacing was just awful. Long drawn out scenes, extended silences between dialogue. I think this was intended to create a sense of sexual tension between the two main characters, and to add gravitas and tragedy to many of Blanchett's scenes. But for me every moment was flaccid. They all just fell flat.

I usually love Cate Blanchett, but here her voice and speech patterns seemed so affected and cliche that I could barely take her seriously. The love story did not compel me in the least, and I couldn't have cared less about the outcome.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you over 100%--I felt I was watching a 2-hourCate Blanchett photo shoot--
the astonishingly great reviews must fall into 'the Emperor's new clothes' category--
Cate's breathy delivery and mannered movments ape bad fifties acting and Rooney
was just awkward--Todd Haynes direction was also a disaster--on a scale of 1-10,
minus 2!