Saturday, October 27, 2007

Disgrace

I just finished reading Coetzee's Disgrace and had to post about it right away. I actually felt the need to write about it in order to get away from the sickening, sad, hollow feeling it left me with. It is written so sparsely, so cleanly, but it is like this slow emotional bleed. Without much consolation. There is, in a hopeless way, some consolation for the main character, but not for me as a reader. The descriptions of dogs being euthanized were excruciating, and for the main character there was just loss, loss, loss. It seems so unfair to have to come to terms with such sadness, but then, what is the alternative?

By the way, this cover is from another addition of the book. Mine had a very blank, elegant cover, that is sort of more fitting. But I thought this looked cooler on the blog.

No comments: