Monday, October 29, 2007

It Happened One Night

It's taken me days to watch It Happened One Night with Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert from 1934. I just kept not caring that much about it, and could see where it was going a mile away. This movie took away a bunch of Academy Awards and was loved at the time. I can sort of see why. The plot is kind of... okay. The dialogue is kind of... okay. At the time it was probably considered zany, witty and racy.

Actually, the main problem I had with it was the pacing. Some scenes were too long, and some snippets of dialogue or action happened too quickly. Clark Gable is really good at flirting with the bratty girl, similar to his performance in Gone with the Wind. I think they could remake of it. Not try to update it, keep it in the 30s but do it with 21st century technology and narrative techniques...

No comments: