Monday, October 22, 2007

Igby Goes Down

I love this movie. I watched it for the second time tonight. The first time I thought it was hilarious. This time I thought it was more intense. The dialogue is witty and dark, all the characters sardonic. I think I laughed more the first time I saw it because I was with someone. I never laugh as much when I watch things by myself. Amanda Peet is so beautiful. And I loved Jeff Goldblum in this. I'd write more about it, but I think the Times review, that I got off Netflix, puts it very well: Even though the movie drifts uneasily between satire and realism, and its visions of military school and bohemia feel secondhand, it maintains a ruthless emotional honesty. Ultimately, it gets at something that no other recent American movie has captured quite so acutely: a resentful, lurking disappointment in the good life.
Instead of bringing them happiness, prosperity has left most of the grown-up characters with only a frustrated sense of entitlement floundering in a spiritual void.
http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/review?_r=1&res=9C02E3DB1339F930A2575AC0A9649C8B63&oref=slogin

1 comment:

Kat said...

Hi,

My name is Kat Howard and I am the Interactive Marketing Manager at the Whitney Museum of American Art. Thanks for mentioning us in your blog! We have linked to your post through our website: http://www.whitney.org/www/exhibition/kara_walker/index.html. I would like to offer you a complimentary ticket to our Kara Walker: My Complement, My Enemy, My Oppressor, My Love exhibition. If you are interested, please contact me and let me know when you would like to visit the Whitney.

Best,

Kat Howard

Interactive Marketing Manager
Whitney Museum of American Art
945 Madison Avenue at 75th St
212-570-7748
Kat_Howard@whitney.org